Now that you have understood the term virtual assistant, have you ever wondered what skills are required to be a virtual assistant? Virtual Assistant work is very diverse. You can do internet marketing, social media marketing, data entry, research, customer service, web design, virtual events, bookkeeping and the list goes on…
- Computer and office skills – Since we’re dealing with online work, it’s a prerequisite that every VA must have the ability to use the computer and internet applications. If you have stumbled upon this post, you can pat yourself on the back. You have just proven to yourself that you’re able to use the computer, Internet, a browser, and most especially the search engine (if you found this article through Google, that is). Knowledge of MS Office or any similar office applications is also a must. Most often than not, a virtual assistant creates documents, spreadsheets and presentations for their clients
- Self Discipline– To be successful as a VA, you must have a great deal of self-discipline. Working at home gives you the freedom to work at your own hours but it can also present a whole lot of distractions. That’s why you have to take note that work must be done accordingly. Remember, this is a business. As with any other business, there are deadlines that are set by clients for certain tasks and you need to meet this deadlines to show that you are professional in your work. I believe it would be worthwhile if you set a deadline for yourself to finish the tasks on hand. The faster you can finish a task, the more clients you can accept.
- Resourcefulness – Sometimes clients provide you a vague list of tasks that need to be done. Being resourceful is a must-have skill because you need to have the ability to research answers for any kind of problem. Your client will love you if you take the initiative! While it’s not bad to ask the client for a solution, it would spell a whole lot of difference if you look it up yourself. Once you have found the answer, you may verify it with your client to see if you’re on the right track.
- Anticipation of Needs – As you get to know your client, you get familiar with the tasks you consistently do. Providing your client the information about possible loopholes or things that would be beneficial to them would bring about trust and respect. I recall a close friend who is working in the hospitality industry saying that their work entails being alert at all times and thinking ahead of possible needs their clients may have. I believe this is an advantageous skill because as a service provider, it means you’ve gotten a good grasp of your client and their business which can make you a valuable asset to them.
- Technology Requirements – I admit that working in the VA industry requires you to have the most current and up-to-date knowledge about technology & equipment. If you don’t have the latest and the greatest information, you’ll be left in the dark. Clients that find you online want their VAs to be able to communicate with them in a timely manner. If you have a very slow computer and internet connection, you may lose that client as speed and efficiency in doing tasks is usually one of the main requirements of clients. If you provide internet marketing and social media services, take note that skills for these niches are in demand nowadays and you always have to equip yourself with the latest information because it’s an ever growing and changing niche.
- People Skills – A virtual assistant gets to meet a wide range of personalities. From prospective clients to fellow virtual assistants, everybody’s different! Nevertheless, a virtual assistant must know how to deal with different kinds of people. Although you’re working at home, always remember that you must be professional and behave accordingly as this will lead you to success in the future. Clients may recommend you to others if they find you easy to work with.
If you’ve got these six must-have skills, then you’re on your way on becoming a true-blue virtual assistant. Let me know if you have other skills in mind that could bring about more success to being a virtual assistant.